Afghanistan: Accession to Paris Convention and the Singapore Treaty on May 14, 2017March 14, 2017
Spain: Official Fee Changes Effective April 1, 2017March 17, 2017
According to WIPO, 2016 was a record year with respect to the number of international patent applications.
- 1st– US-based applicants filed 56,595 Patent Cooperation Treaty applications in 2016
- 2nd– Japan placed second (45,239)
- 3rd– China placed third (43,168). China posted double-digit growth each year since 2002
ZTE Corporation (a technology company) filed the most with 4,123 patent applications
French cosmetics company L’Oreal placed first with 150 Madrid applications, Glaxo Group came in second with 141 and BMW had 117 applications.
- 1st – The United States placed 1st globally for international trademark applications: 7,741
- 2nd Germany placed 2nd with 7,551 applications
- 3rd France had 4,132 applications
China had 3,200 applications and saw the fastest growth (68.6%) last year.